7.14.2010

ALBUM: Taproot, Plead the Fifth


I first heard Taproot in my friends attic bedroom, so late at night that it was early morning. Taproot has been insisting for a while now that they're a rock band, but that album was metal. I loved Gift for it's balance of emotion, heaviness and melody, and I've always thought their vocal harmonies were impressively well chosen. I saw them at Stubb's while they were touring for their second album Welcome, and singer Stephen Richards jumped off the inside balcony and busted ASS when he landed on the stage. I really wish I remembered during what song. It took me years to realize that lots of people who've heard Taproot haven't heard Gift, and often they've only heard "Poem" on the radio. I still like the band's first three major releases, but they have more rock and less metal every time they come around. They're still good at what they're doing, but it's not my cup of tea a lot the time. 2010 offering Plead the Fifth is the band's "getting back to our roots" album, a claim that always worries me. What's surprising is that at times it actually does.

Taproot's newest album came out in May of this year. I missed it's release, because honestly 2008's Our Long Road Home wasn't what I wanted to hear from them. In interviews about OLRH the band acknowledged that the album would gain them some fans at the cost of losing some fans, and I fell into column B, but I can't fault the band for going their own way; even material I don't like from Taproot sounds pretty genuine. But enough about that. Taproot's latest release Plead the Fifth isn't so much a full step back, but it will likely remind people that they know where they stepped forward from. The angry churn of 2000's "mentobe" and 2010's album opener "Now Rise" are indeed cut from a similar cloth. Part of this is Mike DeWolf and Phil Lipscomb's return to the low A tuning of their earlier days. Stephen Richards' scream has always sounded tight and well controlled, but on this opening track, and surprisingly often through the whole album, he's letting loose in ways unprecedented. Two and a half minutes into "Now Rise" Richards rips his lowest bellow and highest shriek that I can remember, in the space of four seconds. The equally aggressive verse of "Game Over" follows, finally letting up into a chorus that characterizes the other, softer side of Taproot's dynamic coin . The more upbeat tone of long-titled single "Fractured (Everything I Said Was True)" sets the tone for much of the rest of Plead the Fifth, but the more guttural riffs do show up from time to time. Fans always accuse heavy bands of getting less heavy over time, and that's because they usually do, but that kind of energy takes focus, and you know, entropy. Taproot, as a rock band, has long focused on making their songs distinct from each other, and through their career they've used an increasing assortment of tools to do this. That they are still adding to that toolbox is the most compelling thing about this album, and that they can still reach the intense end of their spectrum should be refreshing even for old fans not fond of their new direction. But except for informed retrospective moments, this album is in keeping with the direction they're music has been taking all along. If fans of Taproot's heavier style drop off because of Plead the Fifth, it will at least be a harder decision this time. Who knows, this renewed aggression might even bring some back.

2 / 5

3 comments: