2.06.2011

RECAP: Baths @ Mohawk, Austin TX

I like Baths. I could tell you I like him as a part of the beat scene I've been fixated on lately, or because he's a part of one of my favorite labels, or because he injects a personality and heart into the often sterile world of electronic music. But watching him tonight, I realized that boiled down to it's base, I like Baths because he's so unashamed. His music is brave and expository, and it's comforting to see public experimentation this bold. I've seen Will Weisenfeld perform three times since the release of Cerulean on Anticon Records, and even with one album under his newest moniker's belt, each performance is fresh. Experiments happen, and new songs are tested out each time I've seen a Baths show. Even his beat manipulation gets a little more tweaked out, adventurous, and glitchy. On top of that, he always seems genuinely excited and blessed to be doing what he does, and people respond to that. Definite highlights included a few new songs, including "The Nothing" from his new 7" on Anticon, and selections from his tour-only B-side collection. Not new, but he also slipped in a Shlohmo remix that I love, and which can be yours here, at Potholes in My Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment